Monday Muzak LIV: Emerald Space Opera Muzak 77


I remember the thrill I had when I discovered Saturday Anime on the Syfy channel. I wasn't quite captivated by everything I saw, but there was this allure each weekend that had me hooked. Would I find something inspirational? Some movies they aired, like The Venus Wars, Iria, and a few others had me in a constant state of flow. The story, characters, and distinct visual styles opened my mind up to all sorts of new possibilities. I was dreaming things in a completely different way. In the same manner, certain musical tracks have unlocked creative sight in my mind's eye.

George & Jonathan have been mentioned before. I recently came across another free soundtrack of theirs, The Best Christmas, that hit me just as hard as the first one did. One particular track, Tutorial Lab Remix, makes me recall all of those old school anime flicks I used to watch. The ramped up Excitebike introduction. The jittery buzzing. Brief pauses. Long, deep distorted sound. It has this vibe from a time gone by that makes me remember that thrill of discovery way back when. And I adore it for doing that.

I couldn't find a Youtube video of the song, so you'll have to hit up the stream on The Best Christmas site they have. Instead, I provided an image from Leiji Matsumoto's Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. The film was based off of Daft Punk's Discovery album. It was also partly produced by the duo, who credit Leiji's work for inspiring them when they were young.

No comments:

Post a Comment