Noisebreaker

I spend a lot of time teaching just talking with people. So much of my course load throughout the year revolves around project-focused learning, figuring out milestones and fighting an uphill battle against procrastination, miscommunication and the stuff life throws at all of us. More often than not we see a great return on this time investment, but the battle getting there is always happening the same way. I always end up saying the same things. I always see the same problems arise. I always want to answer with a resounding "do something" or "just make" or "more".

In my own work I try to practice that. The less I talk about it in great length the more inspiration and feedback seems to pay off. If I continue to write, talk about its intricacies and break it down I will inevitably find a flaw. I'll see a crack in the sculpture. I will realize I missed something and fixate on resolving it. Repair needs to come later, in my experience, as the best forms of inspiration can lead to the extraordinary. Simply trying to communicate through spoken word will open it up to the bombardment of our intellectual minds. It loses the protection it had and becomes tangible. Mortal. Superbrothers and Brandon Boyer put a little something together that has stuck with me for a long time.

"A videogame is a staggeringly beautiful canvas. It's a window into another world. A world that lives only as long as the machine is on. A living breathing world with depth and soul that actually exists, right there onscreen, limited only by the vision and imagination of its creators. Seize that thought, and don't let it go."

Talking is noise and your idea is fragile in its most bountiful stages. That initial thought? That spark of a concept? Seize it. More than that, make it happen.

1 comment: